How do you define success? Is it a job title? A relationship status? A family? An income level? A house in a certain neighborhood? A large amount of social media followers? A number on the scale? A six pack? Your reputation among your peers? Living a certain “lifestyle”?
It seems like every day we are bombarded with messages telling us to hustle, push, and strive for more. Sort of makes you miss the days before social media (yes, I’m old enough to remember those days) It can be exhausting and leave you to wonder…when is it ever good enough?
What if there was a new definition for success and it had nothing to do with appearances or outward “status” symbols? What if success simply meant shedding all of those outward pressures and living your life exactly as the person you are? What if success was defined by inner peace.
But you measure inner peace? Maybe. Yesterday, I read the following list to my BODYFLOW class during relaxation and I think it comes just about as close as you can to a measurement of inner peace. I’m working on become a huge success, by these terms, every single day.
The Twelve Signs of Inner Peace.
1. An increasing tendency to let things happen rather than make them happen.
2. An unmistakeable ability to enjoy each moment.
3. A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
4. A loss of interest in judging others.
5. A loss of interest in judging self.
6. A loss of interest in conflict.
7. A loss of the ability to worry.
8. Frequent, overwhelmed episodes of appreciation.
9. Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature.
10. Frequent bouts of smiling.
11. A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than acting on fears based on past experiences.
12. An increased susceptibility to the love extended by others as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it.
By Saskia Davis